This job description will provide you with guidelines for understanding your responsibilities. These guidelines may change to meet the specific business needs of the Agency.
REPORTS TO: Group Art Supervisor
SUPERVISES: Graphic Designers, Freelance Graphic Designer(s)
The qualifications for Art Director are:
• A minimum of an associates (2 year) degree in advertising, communication design, or visual arts. A bachelor (4 year) degree is preferred.
• 3+ years design experience in an agency setting is required.
• If no degree is possessed, then 6–8 years related experience in agency setting is required.
• 1-2 years of supervisory experience required.
• Must possess exceptional computer skills. Macintosh operating platform a must. PC knowledge a plus. Thorough knowledge of the following software applications is required, Quark X-press, Adobe Illustrator, scanning software, Adobe Photoshop, and any widely utilized word processing application.
• Demonstrated ability to think creatively and provide marketable solutions in conceiving, developing, and producing tactics.
To routinely conceptualize creative solutions that effectively communicate the strategic intent for each tactic within the assigned product(s).
Primary Responsibilities: Art Direction/Graphic Design
• Personally work on the graphic development of at least one product.
• Interact with Copywriters to develop creative concepts and executions of assigned product(s).
• Possess solid understanding of the science and market dynamics of assigned product(s).
• Work closely with account executives to schedule and monitor all projects.
• Provide accurate time and cost estimates for each tactic.
• Perform miscellaneous tasks, as directed by Creative Director.
Secondary Responsibilities: Client Relationships
• Advise client on all technical visual recommendations and/or issues.
• Help facilitate both the input and creative meetings.
• Assist in making presentations to client.
Tertiary Responsibilities: Staff Development
• Provide detailed direction to designers.
• Assist in the education and development of designers.
• Mastered composition techniques (multiple elements and interactive pieces) in producing polished final pieces (i.e., attention to detail, good knife).
• Comprehensive computer photo-retouching and image development skills.
• Demonstrated complete understanding of:
• Color theory and color relationships.
• Typographic terms that identify type forms and the specifications required to refer to typographic settings (i.e., points, leading, picas, kerning, tracking, cap-height, x-height etc.).
• Perspective and space relationships.
• Page composition and grid structures.
• Print production process, knowledge of production techniques, and correct disking procedures.
• Photography and the photographic process.
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Communicate thorough knowledge of assigned product(s).
• Provide effective direction at photo shoots.
• Effectively check and approve work on press.
• Effectively collect electronic materials for output.
• Effectively handle multiple assignments at one time.
• Manage challenging situations both internally and with the client.
• Command respect of freelancers and designers and be able to effectively oversee their work.
Increased responsibilities and direct reports as the Agency and its affiliates continue to grow. As a general guide, Art Directors will be trained and developed to become Senior Art Directors.
Download this job description.doc