This job description will provide you with guidelines for understanding your responsibilities. These guidelines may change to meet the specific business needs of the Agency.
REPORTS TO: EVP, Chief Operating Officer and Director of Client Services
The qualifications for the position of Strategic Marketing Director are:
• BA/BS degree required; MBA preferred.
• 10-12 years of marketing experience, with at least 5 years of pharmaceutical experience.
• At least 5 years of supervisory experience.
• Experience in at least 2-3 therapeutic categories.
• Product launch and business development experience required.
Successfully build and promote agency’s businesses in close partnership with Executive Management by providing sound, innovative, strategic leadership and initiatives.
• Communicate a thorough knowledge of product information: science, marketing initiatives, market research techniques, promotional venues, brand strategy, medical/legal requirements, future challenges and opportunities (scientific, medical, industry or competitive issues) that will influence the brand.
• Develop and maintain client-valued relationships as a marketing strategist.
• Direct the development of the [Agency] Strategic Planning Process; personally sell, and train others to sell, the process to existing and prospective clients.
• Direct the development of strategic proposal(s) for [Agency]. Sell the proposal and implement its plan, and ensure appropriate follow-up with client.
• Provide strategic recommendations to existing or prospective clients to include new customers/audiences, managed care, innovative programs, and market research.
• Identify internal/external resources to address opportunity.
• Build and support a strong and strategically focused client/agency team.
• Exhibit thorough knowledge of the agency’s policies and procedures.
• Work in close partnership with [Agency] Executive Management to identify potential new business opportunities, and develop plans and action steps to secure such business, both on a local and regional basis.
• Provide strong leadership to the agency business development team.
• Support the development of an annual plan for growth with each assigned client. Set specific goals based upon this written plan. Modify the plan, as needed, based upon changing product conditions.
• Clearly set expectations for all direct reports. Evaluate performance based upon expectations, and recommend fair compensation commensurate with employee performance.
• Develop a personal Development Plan • managed against specific goals - for all direct reports and ensure that the plan is implemented. Provide regular coaching and feedback.
• Conduct timely performance appraisals of all direct reports (if applicable) to encourage, motivate and improve staff performance, and to ensure consistency and uniformity in its application in accordance with agency standards.
• Recruit, hire and effectively train new employees. Actively network to seek out new talent, and routinely interview candidates to add strength to the organization.
• Educate and develop account management staff. Coach and motivate account group leaders to effectively develop and motivate their direct reports. Identify and recommend internal and external training opportunities.
• Exhibit thorough knowledge of agency process, and ensure compliance with all standard policies and procedures.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in the ability to ensure quality client service.
• Routinely demonstrate a thorough understanding of the medical advertising industry.
• Possess credibility in the presence of the client.
• Strong presentations skills.
• Ability to:
• develop valued relationships with senior-level client management, based upon broad knowledge of marketing and promotional principles and insights.
• anticipate and lead client perceptions of the creative product, and develop any necessary action steps required to ensure comfort levels.
• manage challenging situations and recommend effective solutions to problems.
• think in terms of business management including demonstrating cost effective ways to increase productivity, manage expenses, etc..
• effectively delegate and manage multiple tasks.
• demonstrate thorough knowledge of assigned product(s), and ability to provide clear direction to new business teams.
• collaborate well with other agency departments, executive management, and client management.
• effectively educate, develop, lead and manage direct reports to enable them to oversee their product(s).
Increased responsibilities and direct reports as the Agency and its affiliates continue to grow. Officer title may be awarded.
Download this job description.doc