The O’Toole Awards program is known as one of the toughest industry competitions. It is unique. Rather than reward one great idea, the O'Toole Awards honor an agency’s overall level of creative excellence. The 2012 competition introduces the new category of Media to honor 4A's member agencies that consistently drive media excellence through innovation, transformation and creativity.
The O'Toole Award itself is the biggest award (literally) in advertising. The O'Toole Creative categories are open to all agencies, including international. The O'Tooles unique judging process is based on a peer-to-peer level as agencies judge categories of non-competing size groups.
Different rules apply to the O'Toole Creative Awards and the O'Toole Media Awards. Complete rules can be found on the O'Toole Awards Web Site
Proceeds of the O'Toole Awards are donated to the 4A’s Foundation, Inc. A primary goal of the Foundation is to award scholarships to multicultural students of the advertising arts.
Agencies may submit any combination of print and broadcast (including direct mail, interactive, newspapers, magazine, non-traditional, outdoor, radio and television ). Self-promotion is not accepted. We encourage you to submit a variety of media that demonstrates your agency's range.
Four trophies are awarded, one each for the following categories:
- O’TooleBox: This category honors excellence in creative and original thinking for a body of work, for a single campaign idea across different contact points. We strongly recommend that you enter a single file that cohesively strings together the different ads; narrative is acceptable. We are NOT looking for results. Only one type of media per example is allowed. Judges are looking for excellence in creativity and original thinking in an integrated message for a single campaign idea. We are not looking for results, just great creative.
- Large Agency: You must enter 8 pieces of work for 8 separate brands, one of which may be a Public Service Ad.
- Mid-Sized Agency: You must enter 5 pieces of work for 5 separate brands, one of which may be a Public Service Ad. If you want to take on the Large Agencies, you may enter the Large Agency Category.
- Small Agency: You must enter 3 pieces of work for 3 separate brands, one of which may be a Public Service Ad. If you want to make a name for yourself, you can enter the Large or Mid-Sized categories.
Proceeds of the O'Toole Awards are donated to the 4A’s Foundation, Inc. A primary goal of the Foundation is to award scholarships to multicultural students of the advertising arts.For additional information contact (212) 850-0728 or e-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In keeping with the overall mission of the 4A’s O’Toole Awards, the Media Excellence category awards the agency specifically for the body of high-level work it has created on behalf of clients/brands. The 4A’s Media O’Toole Awards are open to member agencies involved in involved in media planning and/or buying functions.
Three trophies are awarded, one each for the following categories:
- Large Agency: You must submit 4 file entries for 4 separate clients//brands focusing on four or more media types.
- Mid-Sized Agency: You must submit 2 files for 2 separate clients/brands focusing on three or more media types.
- Small Agency: You must submit 1 file entry for 1 client/brand focusing on two or more media types.
- Additionally, regardless of category size, all entrants must submit an agency Overview that explains how their media planning and/or buying refects innovation and creativity.
Complete rules can be found on the O'Toole Awards Web Site
O'Toole Awards Winners
2011 Winners | 4A's O'Toole Awards for Creative Excellence
2009 Winners | 4A's O'Toole Awards for Creative Excellence
O'Toole Creative Awards Winners and Finalists from 1991-2008