Agency Mindset, Pitching
View All Posts
At the 4A's New Business Transformation Workshop in Chicago, Cleve Langton, founder of New Business 3.0 Inc and author of New Business Lessons from Madison Avenue discussed 2009 new business imperatives. Cleve summarized his imperatives with 10 suggestions:
10. DON'T pitch everything that walks – be selective.
9. DON’T stretch the truth on the RFP – it's a two-way exercise.
8. DON'T use a team member if he/she is a weak presenter, no matter how smart they are.
7. DON'T go overtime no matter how brilliant you think the content is.
6. DON'T stop at a communications rationale – it must be tied to a business ROI.
5. DO follow-up with methodical, pre-planned steps. No follow-up – no passion or commitment – love 'em and leave 'em.
4. DO have 3 rehearsals even at the expense of excluding last minute "flashes of brilliance."
3. DO ask questions throughout the process and make sure you proved you've listened.
2. DO identify the 3 key points that you will reinforce throughout your presentation and validate where possible
1. DO make sure that there’s tight (left brain) linkage between the strategy and creative solution.