Two agencies have been recognized with the Grand Prix at the Jay Chiat Awards for Strategic Excellence in Advertising, the 4A’s announced at its fourth annual Strategy Festival, which kicked off in Nashville on Oct. 27.
MDC Partners’ 72andSunny won a Grand Prix for its strategy on Samsung’s “Samsung Galaxy: The next big thing is already here” campaign, while WPP Group’s JWT Cairo won a Grand Prix for its innovation on Vodafone Egypt’s “How to make small seem big.”
Last year, no campaign was recognized with a Grand Prix at the Jay Chiat Awards.
“The role of account planning is more complex than ever before,” said Nancy Hill, President-CEO of the 4A’s. “Jay Chiat Award winners needed to demonstrate multifaceted strategic competency to be recognized in such a competitive environment.”
Jennifer Seidel, EVP, Agency Relations and Education at the 4A’s, said, “The theme of this year’s festival was ‘Strategy &’ because advertisers are looking for their agencies to go beyond the creative idea as strategic business partners that can advise them on many aspects of customer engagement.. Brilliant creative is just one aspect of what is necessary for agencies to succeed.
Attendees heard presentations and ideas from brand marketers such as FedEx and McDonald’s, and from account-planning gold winners including Ogilvy and BBH about how they delivered best-in-class campaigns.
These global advertising awards honor strategic thinking and recognize professionals who have developed strong, innovative insights and initiated their work through creative campaigns that inspire both consumers and business. The judging panels were comprised of top industry thought leaders. The complete list of medal winners for the 2013 Jay Chiat competition areas follows:
Global Strategy (No gold awarded in the category this year.)
- Ogilvy & Mather, UK — Dove / Unilever “Dove / Camera Shy”
- Ogilvy & Mather, New York — IBM “A Boy and His Atom”
- Ogilvy & Mather Sao Paulo/Edelman PR/PHD Media — Dove / Unilever “Dove Real Beauty Sketches”
- DAVID The Agency — The Coca-Cola Company “ Let’s Go Crazy”
- Goodby Silverstein and Partners — Cisco “Tomorrow Started Here.”
- Ogilvy & Mather West —Qualcomm Snapdragon
- 72andSunny—Samsung Telecommunications America “Samsung Galaxy: The Next Big Thing Is Already Here”
- BBH — Unilever: Axe “Susan Glenn Campaign”
- Memac Ogilvy & Mather/Universal Media — The Coca-Cola Company “Sprite Cricket Stars”
- mono — Target “The Everyday Collection”
- Droga5 — Prudential : Prudential Challenge Lab: Why Retirement Starts with your Brain”
- Saatchi & Saatchi — P&G Luvs “Luvs: Second Time Moms and the Truth About Parenting”
- 180LA/Carat — adidas “The Return”
- BrainJuicer — 3 Mobile “Dance, Pony, Dance: How Innovative Research Transformed Three's Strategy and Execution”
- CARAT/Wieden+Kennedy/Taylor/DeVries/GMR — P&G (Procter & Gamble) Medaling In Media: "P&G Proud Sponsor Of Mom' Olympic Campaign"
- Conill — P&G. Pampers “Bellies in Concert”
- Ogilvy, Mumbai/Jonathan Dothan — Star India Pvt Ltd “Satyamev Jayate--Managing a billion expectations”
- TBWA\CHIAT\DAY — Gatorade “IN > ON"
- Ogilvy & Mather, Bangkok — Thai Health Promotion Foundation (THPF) “THPF: Smoking Kid - A Personal Message to the Smokers”
- TBWA\Chiat\Day — Women's Sports Foundation, Gatorade “Keep Her In The Game”
- Laughlin Constable — Lung Cancer Alliance “2012 Lung Cancer Alliance Campaign”
- The Buntin Group — The Contributer “Homelessness”
- Ogilvy & Mather Sao Paulo — Sport Club Recife “Immortal Fans”
- Lowe Counsel, Lowe & Partners — Colombian Ministry of Defense's Group of Humanitarian Attention to the Demobilised “A Message of Peace”
Product/Service Creation (No silver awarded in the category this year)
- JWT, Cairo— Vodafone Egypt “How to make small seem big, Fakka from Vodafone Egypt”
- Anomaly— Labatt Breweries of Canada “Red Light”
- The Mom Complex/Breathe Research — Asda (Walmart's UK Operation) “Leveraging the passion & pain points behind motherhood to drive innovative, new shopping solutions.”
- R/GA — McCormick “FlavorPrint”
- BBH NY/Deep Focus — Cole Haan “Chelsea Pump Campaign”
- CP+B — Kraft Macaroni & Cheese “Sabemos que te va a encantar” [We know you're going to love it]
- Grupo Gallegos — California Milk Processing Board, Got Milk/Toma Leche “Bedtime Stories”
- DDB New York — New York City Ballet “New York City Ballet Art Series”
- Droga5 — The New Museum “Recalling 1993”
- Allen & Gerritsen (formerly Neiman) — Temple University “Temple Made”
- Leo Burnett, Chicago/Starcom MediaVest Group— Allstate “Save11: Putting a Human Face on a Cold Hard Statistic”
- Leo Burnett New York — Village Voice Newspaper “New York Writes Itself”