As a Local Broadcast Buyer, you are responsible for negotiating and placing the client’s broadcast media presence. You are also expected to be a market specialist and maintain a professional relationship with the station representatives; negotiating rates and ratings for programming. To be most successful at [AGENCY], you must be detail oriented, organized, able to handle pressure and be a team player.
• You need to be proactive and go the extra step in getting the most for your client’s dollars.
• You need to be able to interact well with other people at [AGENCY]., other agency departments and with the station reps.
• Act as a mentor to the Broadcast Assistants. This makes your job easier and benefits the agency in the long run.
• Serve as market expert.
• Cultivate relationships with station representatives.
• Responsible(in part) for training and development of Broadcast Assistants (shared with supervisors).
• Must be fair and honest in your negotiations.
• A buyer’s reputation in the industry is extremely important.
• You need to understand as many facets of media research as possible. This is an on-going learning process.
• You need to have the ability to develop different strategies to handle varying market conditions and client demands.
• You need to focus on fitting the brand essence into the client’s media buying, with the intent to benefit the client and the agency.
• Develop understanding of client’s marketing objectives.
• You need to think out of the box. Look for new ways of approaching buying challenges. • You need to be proactive about ways to maximize the client’s media impact within their budget (added value, sponsorships, special opportunities)
• Assist in development of station promotions.
• Seek out new opportunities to showcase client’s message.
• Recognize, respect and address differing opinions. Actively solicit ideas from others.
• Keep Buying Supervisor adequately informed of your progress.
• Maintain a sense of humor. Remain enthusiastic in the face of setbacks. Display a passion and energy for the challenges you face.
Download this job description.doc