The 4A’s Institute of Advanced Advertising Studies (IAAS) provides Los Angeles’ next great marketing and communications leaders the opportunity to expand their exposure to the business-driving solutions that our industry creates. The program helps unlock each participant’s potential by sharpening hard and soft skills through interactive learning from some of the top practitioners in our industry and through the first-hand experience of solving a real-world marketing challenge for one of today’s top brands. The 4A’s IAAS helps to propel participants’ careers through new experiences, challenges and perspectives that may not exist within your agency walls. In fact, it has trained some of the best and brightest industry professionals in the business – including many of today’s top agency executives.
Join the IAAS today to be part of a 14-week experience that provides participants an opportunity to:
- Get outside their comfort zones and stretch your abilities
- Learn from industry leaders with a range of functional and category experiences
- Collaborate and overcome challenges in a team environment
- Gain exposure to broad and varied marketing activities
- Go from client brief to a winning advertising campaign in only a few months
IAAS combines weekly instruction and access to industry mentors/advisors with a marketing case challenge based on a real client brand. Participants will be divided into teams and asked to brand themselves as an Institute-based “agency”. Together, the teams will work to develop a strategic marketing solution to a critical business challenge provided by this year’s client (to be announced). Participants will “pitch” their plan – inclusive of insights, strategy, creative concepts and tactical/channel execution (paid, owned, and earned) – to representatives from the client as well as agency leaders from across our region.
Who Should Attend
The Los Angeles IAAS program is designed for promising agency professionals with two to five years of experience across all disciplines—creative, media, research, planning, strategy, account management, public relations, direct marketing, digital, social and mobile. Titles often include, but are not limited to:
- Designers/Jr. Designers
- Copywriters/Jr. Copywriters
- Account Coordinators
- Account Executives/Assistant Account Executives
- Strategists/Jr. Strategists
- Social Media Managers
- Media Planners/Jr. Media Planners
- Digital Technologists/Jr. Digital Technologists
- UX designers
IAAS opens with a client challenge, and then follows the path of preparing for a pitch. Industry instructors provide an overview of a number of skills the participants will need in order to successfully meet the client’s needs. Topics to be covered include:
- Understanding the challenge, the brand and the customer
- Strategic planning and crafting a compelling brief
- Identifying a key insight and generating a creative “big idea”
- Crafting a campaign across tactics, channels and partners
- Presenting a persuasive plan (i.e. objectives, insights, ideas, budget and measurement)
A detailed course schedule will be provided to all participants following the close of registration, but participants can expect courses to begin Monday, February 3rd and continue through Monday, April 27th. Most sessions will take place from 6:30 PM until 9:00 PM at the UCLA Westwood campus, with a few exceptions where courses will take place at a local agency based in Los Angeles.
Final presentations will be held on May 12th and May 13th at 6:30 PM at the UCLA campus; attendance for all Institute participants is mandatory. There will also be a graduation event for all participants, instructors, advisors and the client team on May 14th.
For Participating Agencies
After graduating IAAS, students will return to work with a better understanding of the big picture, an enhanced ability to work virtually in a team environment, and a renewed passion for doing excellent work and increasing their contributions. Marketing communications companies need a program that provides a real-life understanding of our business, and that is what IAAS delivers. The IAAS helps rising agency stars jump-start their careers and increase their contributions to their agencies. It is an efficient, cost-effective training program.
Gain a unique experience that will better prepare you for your career ahead. In the course of IAAS, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn from experts in our field
- Work in teams to address a real-world client challenge
- Present your own ideas and marketing plans to both client contacts and your own agency leadership
- Gain insight into the different ways various agencies work and approach client needs
- Network with other up-and-coming professionals
- Build your portfolio
- Learn new skills for working within a team environment
- Stimulate your creativity to apply to your day-to-day responsibilities
In addition to functional areas of advertising and marketing, we also have evolved the program for enhanced personal professional development. This program will help participants develop critical thinking and persuasive presentation. Additionally, we will work with students to both recognize/enhance individual behavioral styles and develop skills to recognize others’ behavioral styles for more powerful collaboration.
Ultimately, this experience can accelerate your career and provide new perspectives that will shape your outlook for years to come. It can help make you a better collaborator and leader in our field.
The registration deadline for the 4A’s Los Angeles IAAS is January 31st. In some cases, late registration may be available, potentially at an additional fee. To register now, click the registration button below. We hope you’ll make this investment in your agency by registering your rising stars.
*Note that to register, you must first create an account with us.
- $1,500 for the first participant
- $1,300 for the second participant
- $1,200 for subsequent registrants from the same member agency
$1,850 for each participant from a non-4As agency. There is limited capacity and priority will be given to 4A’s members.
IAAS Registration: Juan Suarez | [email protected] | 310-584-7494
Program/Logistics: Mike Margolin | [email protected] | 310-633-6581