4A’s Research Services practice area is one of the most vital for 4A’s member agencies. Responding to an average 7,000 member requests each year, the team provides comprehensive secondary research to answer member question ranging from category analyses for new business purposes and brand reviews, to strategic questions such as how to prove the value of advertising to a client.
The Information Specialist we are seeking is someone who, above all, is committed to member service. Our members are our clients. There is no request too small or too complicated. 4A’s Research Services team members take pride in helping members succeed. Development of primary research will also be part of 4A’s Research Services remit, as we expand our offerings in service to the industry.
- You have a commitment to member service.
- You are a flexible team player, who has the ability to juggle several projects at once and remain even-tempered and good-humored in a high-pressure environment.
- You will be able to leverage your people-skills and experience to negotiate and interpret member queries with thorough reference interviews. (There is a significant public relations aspect to this role for the 4A’s, through constant member contact.)
- You are comfortable working in a well structured and scheduled environment with highly engaged team members.
- You have the experience to exercise judgment in determining the nature and extent of research undertaken and will take ownership and responsibility for meeting deadlines and following up with members as appropriate.
- Research and respond to member and staff requests by utilizing a variety of secondary resources, using research skills to locate the most pertinent materials to satisfy the requestor’s needs.
- Provide thought leadership to members via white papers on best practices and research-based insights. Create original content on relevant topics for the 4A’s website, Research Services newsletter, or for release to members, by culling data and synthesizing it into concise reports.
- Develop and oversee primary research on relevant consumer and advertising industry topics, in partnership with 4A’s research partners. Maintain relationship with partners and vendors; proactively seek out new partners and research topics for primary research initiatives.
- Develop and maintain research resources by monitoring the trade press, evaluating and reports, recommending studies and publications to be purchased and otherwise organizing data for quick retrieval.
- Mine and surface trends in advertising, media and information management by reading trade and professional journals, monitoring electronic sources and reports, and by participating in professional association activities.
- Assist members in navigating and utilizing the 4A’s website for maximum member benefit
- Support the team in representing and promoting Research Services to current and prospective members via presentations, visits and webinars.
- Perform other duties as assigned by 4A’s executive staff or practice area lead. Work with other 4A’s staff on special projects as needed.
- Relevant experience in secondary research, including a thorough knowledge of business reference sources.
- Experience conducting primary research and working with primary research partners and vendors.
- Expertise in performing online research, including licensed professional databases, government and association resources, and the Internet.
- Familiarity with information management and classification theory.
- Superior verbal, writing, and presentation skills, including experience writing original content for various business audiences.
- Master’s degree in library science or information studies, or 5+ years professional experience in a library or information center.
- PC literate, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
About us and our culture
- Work with a great team with a new mission & energy
- Amazing terrace views overlooking Bryant Park
- Summer Fridays
- Week off between Christmas & New Year Holidays
- Enviable Work/Life Balance & Volunteer Day
What We Do:
The 4A’s, founded in 1917, is the leading authority representing the marketing communications agency business. It provides leadership, advocacy and training that empowers agencies to innovate, evolve and grow. It serves 740 member agencies across 1,400 offices that control more than 85% of total U.S. advertising spends.
The 4A’s is committed to protecting the best interests of its members, their employees and the industry at large. Its Benefits division insures more than 164,000 agency professionals, and the D.C. office advocates for policies that best support a thriving advertising industry.
With its best-in-class learning and career development programs, 4A’s and its Foundation fuel a robust diversity pipeline of talent for its members and the marketing and media industry, fostering the next generation of leaders.