About the Position:
The 4A’s VP–Marketing & Communications (MarComms) reports into and works closely with the EVP–Marketing, Communications, Events and Partnerships to plan, analyze, write, edit, and distribute communications, messaging, and marketing strategy for the association’s events, webinars, email, thought leadership and all digital content.
The VP–MarComms works on a team that partners closely with 4A’s internal practice areas including Business Intelligence & Insight, Research Services, Government Relations, Member Engagement & Development, Media Tech & Data, Talent, Equity & Inclusion [Professional & Organizational Development; 4A’s Foundation], and also collaborates closely with the 4A’s Design Director, Social Media & Email Marketing Specialist, Director–Conferences & Events, and Integrated Project Manager. With the team, the role interacts frequently with the 4A’s Executive Leadership team, as well as the leaders of the practice areas.
Marketing Plans: Create and execute marketing plans for key 4A’s initiatives including webinars, podcasts, training and development programs, and thought leadership events including Management Practitioners Forum, StratFest, Agency Comms IN FOCUS, and Decisions 2021, incorporating plans for social, email and barter advertising messaging.
Messaging & Comms Planning: Work closely with MarComms EVP and Integrated Project Manager to plan marketing and communications efforts that provide value to 4A’s members, balance team bandwidth to support organizational priorities, as led and communicated by MarComms EVP in partnership with 4A’s practices.
Digital Marketing: Oversee Social Media & Email Marketing Specialist in the day-to-day, fast-paced evolution and execution of digital marketing plans and distribution of social media and email messages, specifically execution of member bulletins, newsletters, emails and real-time events and webinars (e.g., live-tweeting).
Leadership and coaching: Provide constructive in-the-moment guidance and feedback to the Social Media & Email Marketing Specialist related to strategic planning, execution, writing and communications.
Brand voice: Work closely with MarComms EVP to uphold the 4A’s brand voice and guidelines for consistent branding across all communications and promotional messaging, including ownership of copy and brand voice on 4as.org landing pages and posts, on social platforms, in emails, and in thought leadership. Revise and update editorial guidelines as needed, with input from the team and other practices.
Editing: Oversee revisions of short- and long-form copy and content submissions from 4A’s practice area partners, keeping a critical eye on clear and succinct communication, organization’s tone of voice, and appropriate messaging.
Agency Communications Committee: In partnership with MarComms EVP, support the management of the 4A’s Agency Comms Committee and coordinate its quarterly meetings and events, including Agency Comms IN FOCUS (late 2020) and Agency Comms Summit (2021) with agency committee co-chairs.
Public relations: Support MarComms EVP in managing the 4A’s external public-relations agency on messaging platform and overall strategic communications priorities to advance the organization’s industry POV and oversee social media amplification of press coverage.
- Ideally 15+ years’ experience in marketing, communications, and/or editorial/publishing
- Bachelor’s degree desirable in advertising/marketing, communications, and/or journalism preferred
- Fluency in:
- Google Suite and Microsoft Office tools (documents, spreadsheets, and presentations)
- Asana, or similar project-management applications
- Social platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- WordPress experience a plus
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
General characteristics desired:
- Creative marketer and strategic thinker with exceptional writing and editing skills
- Passionate, innovative leader who can pivot quickly, and be detail-oriented in a fast-paced, (currently virtual) highly creative environment
- Clear communicator in person, virtually and in writing
- Collaborative and supportive team player who also excels as an independent, solutions-oriented marketer, writer and editor
- Positive, professional, and diplomatic with colleagues and partners
- Flexible, open-minded, and level-headed through unpredictability
- Amenable to giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Literate in graphic design and visual communication
- Experience ideally within an ad agency setting, in-house marketing team, or within the advertising/marketing publishing arena
Where we work:
- Great team with strong mission and tons of positive, creative energy
- Summer Fridays
- Week off between Christmas & New Year Holidays
- Flexible, virtual work arrangements will be considered during this time
Although the 4A’s is currently operating remotely, the association is headquartered in midtown Manhattan overlooking Bryant Park and operates primarily on Eastern Time.
About the 4A’s:
The 4A’s mission is to promote, advance, and defend the essential work of our member agencies to help brands create, distribute and measure advertising and marketing. As the industry leader for marketing communications agencies, the 4A’s empowers members to drive commerce, spark connections, and shape culture through infinite creativity as we move the industry forward. The 4A’s provides community, leadership, advocacy, guidance and best-in-class training that empower agencies to innovate, evolve and grow. The New York-based organization serves 600+ member agencies across 1,200 offices, which help direct more than 85% of total U.S. advertising spend.
Founded in 1917, the 4A’s is committed to protecting the best interests of its members, their employees and the industry at large. Its benefit division insures more than 160,000 employees and its DC office advocates for policies that best support a thriving advertising industry.
The 4A’s and its foundation fuel a robust diversity pipeline of talent for its members and the marketing and media industry, fostering the next generation of leaders.
4A’s is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
- Marketing & Advertising
- Full time
- Marketing and Communications
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].