The 4A’s is committed to sharing the thoughts of some of the most important leaders in the ad industry. In this edition of our 5 Questions for … series, we chat with MEC Global’s CEO Marla Kaplowitz. Before being named CEO, Kaplowitz served as President, U.S. Clients and Head of Planning at the agency. She was formerly Executive Vice President, Managing Director, leading the Procter & Gamble communications planning assignment for North America at MediaVest.
1) What’s the biggest challenge or opportunity facing the ad industry right now?
The opportunity to attract and retain the best and brightest talent amidst various options—in a disruptive way. People are at the core for any company.
2) What is the single most significant change you need to make in your agency in the next 12 months?
Constantly changing the way we work to be more agile and predictive while also ensuring a creative perspective that drives growth for our clients and people.
3) What products/services/unique skills do MEDIA agencies offer that guarantee the industry’s survival for another 100 years?
A connection and understanding of the marketplace synthesizing data with a strategic and creative approach. Data-driven ideas that deliver business impact are a powerful currency.
4) What attributes do you look for in your next generation of leaders/managers?
I’ve always sought out two qualities in any individual: curiosity (to ensure someone is always questioning and asking why) and intuition (so the person trusts their instinct and is decisive).
5) If you weren’t working in advertising, what would you be doing as a career?
Growing up I wanted to be a criminal defense attorney. I was always intrigued to mysteries and puzzles—trying to figure things out.