The 4A’s is talking to some of the most interesting thinkers in the business about what agencies need to do to continue to grow and thrive. Pam Scheideler, who’s based in LA and chief digital officer of Deutsch, weighs in here. Scheideler is a former head of production and operations at Google Creative Lab. She also worked as the head of digital production at JWT.
1) What’s the biggest challenge or opportunity facing the ad industry right now?
Our greatest opportunity is our clients’ desire to be part of the creative process—finding the balance between being open, while giving creatives breathing room, is the challenge.
2) What is the single most significant change you need to make in your agency in the next 12 months?
Rapid-fire content creation. It’s now an always-on cycle driven by opportunities to connect with customers. The “we always brief in December” days are gone.
3) What products/services/unique skills do ad agencies offer that guarantee the industry’s survival for another 100 years?
As long as we maintain our creative center, we’ll attract the best writers, coders, designers and strategists. And that type of talent tells the best stories and creates the best brand experiences.
4) What attributes do you look for in your next generation of leaders/managers?
I look for people who are humble, team players, who are passionate and good problem solvers.
5) If you weren’t working in advertising, what would you be doing as a career?
If I weren’t in advertising, I’d probably go back to the public or nonprofit sector. There’s a lot to figure out to make sure we are taking care of one another.